4.02.2015

A project to remember

It's no longer Christmas, but one of my favorite service projects was one that started with my grandpa's Christmas present to me. Instead of a gift, he gave everyone in the family some cash he called "seed money." His hope was that everyone would find someone who needed an extra boost at Christmas. While we didn't have to, he encouraged everyone to add in some of their own money to make his gift go further.

As I was trying to decide how to spend the money, I was made aware of a family in my neighborhood who was struggling. They were the type to never ask for help, but they definitely needed to know someone was watching out for them. I got together with a few of my neighbors, decided we would help them anonymously, and determined each person's responsibilities.

After a shopping trip and tallying up the receipts, I ended up doubling the amount of money my grandpa gave me and I was glad to do it—it enabled me to get a several fun things for the kids and their parents.

My favorite part of this experience was the night I delivered the gifts. I set them down, rang the doorbell, ran, and hid. I felt overwhelmed with gratitude for the things I had; excitement for this family (who was unaware of what was coming); and felt like I was doing something big, important, and impactful. Those feelings alone would have been enough, but they compounded once I heard the youngest child open the front door. Even from my hiding spot I could tell her genuine excitement was too much for her little body to contain. I could feel it radiating from the porch as she gasped and rustled through the packages. Another family member came out to survey the scene and shouted a big "Thank you!" into the night.

Whenever I want to feel intense gratitude, genuine happiness, and a sense of purpose, I know that doing something for someone else is a quick and sure-fire way to stir up those feelings within myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment